11 May 2008

Mother's Day

I'm not sure Mother's Day is such a great thing... it should be... but,
I don't think it is. How can you possibly do anything to truly say, "Thank you"? I mean, just taking someone out to eat doesn't really quite show enough thanks IMHO. How do you thank the mothers in your life properly? I mean, it's a lot that mothers do for their families. How do you show you care in an appropriate way? Sorry, but flowers and chocolates don't cut it.

Maybe it's best to make everyday Mother's Day. Maybe start taking some of that motherly advice, see where it leads. That could be a step in the direction of making a mom feel appreciated. Maybe help them by doing your chores without having to be asked. Maybe take it upon yourself to plan to do something with her that she wouldn't expect.

I could be asking too much... or am I?

2 comments:

AJ said...

I must have low expectations...but I am not a mother. No, no one can perfectly or totally say 'Thank You' that can ever fully give the return on sacrafice that mother's make...but then, I think most moms realize that as soon as their baby kicks them or gives birth.

However, I think Mother's Day is a good reminder to go the extra mile and another way to show Mom you care. It's a good reminder to the masses that we should all recognize and honor our Moms as often as possible (it's also good for the economy). So, on that note, long live Mother's Day.

AJ said...

PS: I'd like to add that if I have a kid that daydreams as much as I did as a child; that I would forgive him or her like my Mom did. I know that I spent some days more with my imagination than I could've spent with my Mom. Although, I did invite her to take part with whatever story I had imagined up for friends and family to act out; she was never too comfortable in any other role than Mom.