12 May 2008

Beyond Mother's Day

I think being a mother definitely affects one's perception. Prior to being a mother, I felt differently toward my own mother. Being a mom makes me appreciate mothers more than I ever did before. As my own daughter grows, I appreciate mothers even more than I did when she was small.

Some of us are blessed to have children who treat everyday like Mother's Day. But, I can honestly say that I have not always honored my mother in any great fashion on Mother's Day (or any other day of the year, for that matter). I guess you don't realize how hard something is until you're in the midst of it. Sometimes, you don't realize it until after you've been through it. Women tend to devalue themselves/their work anyway. Unfortunately, so do many of those around them... often because we (as women) tend to play down much of what we do and others just follow our lead. Mothers are prime examples of this.

Anyway, I find it particularly sad that men often don't recognize all that the women in their lives do. It's especially disturbing when those women are good mothers/wives. Thankfully, we know that God recognizes the work we do.

With all that said, I got the sweetest card from my daughter this Mother's Day. She always makes them by hand... which is always so special. I have such a lovely daughter.

I love that although we look very little like each other... we are very similar in personality/taste/etc. That makes things fun. I love that we can shop together and we both know what will work and what is a definite, "NO way!" lol I love that we have similar facial expressions. I love that we are extremely close. I thank God for that... I know it is a rare gift... though one that I think can be had by many. I think most people just don't recognize the gift they've been given... and so they do not cherish it/cultivate it/etc. I'm thankful that both her and I recognize that gift and do honor it. I hope that never changes.

No comments: